Why Should Builders Use Natural Gas?
For many homes, natural gas appliances are an option. About 60 percent of U.S. homes have natural gas service. So why do builders opt for natural gas services and appliances despite the extra cost to vent the appliances? To gather more information on this topic, the American Gas Association engaged the National Association of Home Builders Economics and Housing Policy Group to survey builders. The survey asked builders to rate the most influential reasons that made them choose natural gas.
The top two factors identified by builders are:
- Customers desire natural gas appliances (average rating, 4.0 out of 5.0);
- Natural gas appliances have lower operating costs (3.4); and
Customer preference was by far the most important factor for the builder to choose natural gas.
There are many ways for builders to add natural gas to homes.
Tank Water Heater
- Costs up to 62% less to operate
- Heats water faster than electric
- Storage capacity from 30-100 gallons; quick heating with less cost
- Smaller tank requirements versus electric
Tankless Water Heater
- Up to 40% more energy efficient than tank style water heaters
- Endless supply of hot water
- No more storing unneeded hot water
- Life expectancy of more than 20 years
- Space saving over tank style
- Quick recovery through auto set-back thermostats that work with faster air flow to keep air comfy and save money
- Dependable warmth with efficiencies of up to 98%
- Enhanced comfort with 115-degree heat that is up to 20 degrees warmer than drafts, below-body-temperature heat pump air
- The expected lifespan of a natural gas furnace is twice as long as an electric heat pump
- Instant on/off with easy cleanup for ultimate convenience
- Precise temperature control makes it the preferred choice of professional chefs
- Warm soft glow gives your home unique charm and elegant curb appeal
- Added safety/security without attracting bugs
- Fits almost anywhere
- Heat source during power outage
- Wide range of sizes
- Provides electricity during power outages
- Additional security – don’t be left in the dark!
- Quiet, safe operation